Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Art of ironing avoidance

My recent acceptance of the fact that I have "an interest" in covered coat hangers has been a journey of self-realisation.

It stems, I believe, from the ultimate usefulness of the things, their primary value in my view being their importance to the art of ironing avoidance.

Those who, like me, abhor the iron and everything it represents, seek whatever means necessary to avoid it. If that means the covered coat hanger must live in my wardrobe, then so be it. Let me, let us, embrace the covered coat hanger, be it nylon or wool, for all have thier place.

We know that woolies and delicate are best hung on these to dry, but I have also discovered, that the cotton voile blouses I now wear often, when hung on these beauties of grandmotherly craftiness, need not be ironed at all. How wise they were when taking nylon lace to knitting needle!

Therefore, I embrace and love them and seek them out in the places they gather, op-shops, school fetes, and country market stalls. I have found some lovelies recently. The one pictured above is actually made of wool, on a small hanger, and it's quite dainty.



No comments: